Sunday, February 15, 2009

Imaginitive Bridge Disconnect: Film and Teaching

I just have a quick imaginitive bridge to question. Actually, it is a disconnect between film and teaching. So the opposite of a bridge, I suppose! Hirsch says that "Film is truth, but its all an illusion. It's fake.Film is deceptive truth... So the shooting of a movie is the truth part and the editing of a movie is the lying part, the deceit part." Teaching is all real, all the time. We, as professionals, have no time to edit, cut, or re-take. We can add music and plan our transitions to add depth, feel and engagement, but we have no real deceit to go on...We are all truth. The only form of editing we have are our internal filters in what we choose to say or do with students. There is no undoing in our jobs. Another issue I take with comparing film to teaching is in the statement, "One of the old definitions of art is deception." Is teaching really an art if that statement is truth?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment